African Adventures’ Youth Development Programme, for providers such as NCS, helps organisations continue to engage with their young people through an enriching volunteer experience.
Our tried and tested experiences offer young people a unique and affordable opportunity to volunteer and experience what it is like to make a difference at worthwhile community projects in Africa. Your young people will be tasked with working towards ambitious developmental goals, and the journey starts as soon as they sign up to the programme.
The programme, which can be spread across 6-15 months, builds on important life skills learned during programmes such as NCS, including money management, decision-making, planning, teamwork and tolerance. The experience can be tailored to focus on football, multi-sports and/or academic education. Young people will also experience their African Adventure alongside the friends and staff with whom they already have a great relationship.
Our Youth Development Programme is split into three clear and challenging phases: fundraising, planning and preparation, and teamwork and delivery. Throughout the programme, your young people will be challenged and pushed out of their comfort zones as they embark on one of the most challenging and rewarding journeys they may ever take.
Please explore our trip options, find out more and don’t hesitate to get in touch.
The Albion Foundation making the most of their experience in Kenya.
Want to find out more?
We are here to support you and answer your questions.
Five Reasons Why Providers Choose Us
Having organised trips for over 3000 young people, we’re a specialist in enrichment programmes and volunteer experiences. Our accreditations will assure you that you are travelling with a company that is safely run, fully insured, and responsibly motivated.
We believe that young people gain as much as they give before, during and after their volunteer trip. Helping to develop invaluable life skills from resilience to leadership, we have seen volunteering bring the best out of so many young people, giving them the tools they need to take the next steps towards higher education and/or employment.
We make the organisation of your trip as easy as possible. Our bespoke online platform holds all the tools and resources you and your young people will need to prepare you for the journey ahead. Your dedicated Groups Manager will take care of trip admin and make sure that your entire group is looked after, from launch to your safe return.
Quite simply, we guarantee that you won’t find the same opportunity for less. Our packages include everything you need, and our fundraising resources and support tools make financing them as simple as possible. For every ten young people participating, you will also receive one free staff place.
We offer an exciting and rewarding way to keep your young people engaged, enabling them to continue their journey with you. Similarly to youth programmes such as NCS, the African Adventures’ Youth Development Programme is wholly inclusive, so that all young people are fully supported to take up the challenge of creating meaningful change in the communities that need it most.
Youth Development Programme Packages
What’s Included In Your Package?
We pride ourselves on our excellent pre-departure service and fully inclusive Youth Development Programme.
- Free place with every 10 volunteers
- Dedicated UK Groups Manager & Volunteer Co-ordinator
- Launch presentation and pre-departure meeting
- Fundraising support and ideas
- Access to our My African Adventure portal and volunteer resource area
- Personal travel insurance
- Financial protection under the ATOL scheme
- Free t-shirt
- Visa application support
When You Travel
- Indirect flights from London Heathrow1 2
- Return airport transfers in-country
- Dedicated African Adventures Trip Co-ordinator
- Single-sex, shared accommodation
- Three meals per day
- Daily transport as per itinerary
- Organised project work
- 24-hour support in the event of an emergency
- Cultural events and activities
- Contribution to essential project development
After You Travel
- Full trip debrief with UK Groups Manager
- Certification of completion of volunteer programme
What’s Not Included?
Very little, actually.
- UK medical expenses – any vaccinations or antimalarial tablets
- Visa fee
During your trip
- Spending money
- Drinking water
- Direct flights and regional airport departures available for additional cost
- There is a £50 summer flying supplement for trips taking place in July and August
Discover and Explore
Frequently Asked Questions
Your young people will finish the programme with:
- Better money management skills, having had to budget, plan and assess.
- A deeper understanding of global issues.
- Experience of a significantly different culture to the one they are used to and adjusting to a different way of life.
- An enhanced ability to work as part of a team to achieve a common goal.
- A greater ability to improvise and demonstrate resilience, whether inside a classroom teaching environment or whilst working towards project construction goals.
- Our Youth Development Programme is an incredible tool to help providers, such as those delivering NCS, maintain a long-term and meaningful relationship with their young people.
- You will be able to demonstrate a clear commitment to student development in the UK and Africa.
- Your organisation will return with an attractive photo album to document your experience that can be used across several platforms to drive future recruitment to your programmes.
- We recommend that providers split their fundraising phase across 6-15 months. This depends on the amount of time that your young people are able to spend on fundraising.
- Participating in the programme means that every individual is responsible for fundraising their costs, so they must take ownership of their fundraising plan, together with support from the group leader and you as a provider.
- We have lots of brilliant fundraising support tools to use, helping to significantly reduce the chance of an individual not being able to raise the required costs.
- The best way to mitigate this is to set a monthly fundraising target from the outset, so that you can make sure each individual is on track.
- All year round, except December.
- Some programmes may have limited availability during the month of August.
- We run our Youth Development programme for young people aged 13+.