African Adventures’ Youth Development Programme helps NCS providers continue to engage with their graduates through a life-changing volunteer experience in Ghana, Kenya or Zanzibar.
We are experts in volunteer travel, and specialise in organising graduate opportunities for LDPs in the form of group volunteer experiences. Our trips have been proven to boost graduate engagement during the Extension Phase; each provider that has travelled with us has seen, on average, 13% of their graduates choose to continue their NCS journey with African Adventures. Your grads will be tasked with working towards ambitious development goals whilst in Africa, and the journey starts as soon as they sign up to the programme.
The programme, which can be spread across 6-12 months, includes three phases: fundraising, planning, and delivery. The fundraising phase sees young people plan their own events to raise the money they need to travel. They can also work together with their fellow graduates to organise group events. We’re here to provide lots of ideas and support to help put the ‘fun’ into fundraising!
The planning phase begins several weeks before travel with final preparations for the work your young people will be doing, making sure everything is ready for when you and your graduates arrive in Africa for the delivery phase.
The programme builds on vital skills as young people move into adulthood, such as money-management, decision making, planning, and teamwork. The programme simultaneously fulfils the commitments we make to our partner projects in Africa to ensure a lasting, tangible impact for everybody involved.
The Albion Foundation making the most of their experience in Kenya.
Want to find out more?
We are here to support you and answer your questions.
Five Reasons Why Providers Choose Us
We offer an exciting and rewarding way to keep your young people engaged, enabling them to continue their journey with you. African Adventures’ Youth Development Programme is wholly inclusive, so that all young people are fully supported to take up the challenge of creating meaningful change in the communities that need it most.
We make your trip as easy to organise as possible. Our bespoke online platform holds all the tools and resources you and your young people will need to prepare you for the journey ahead. Your dedicated Groups Manager will take care of trip admin and make sure that your entire group is looked after, from launch to your safe return.
African Adventures is a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact, aligning our work to the UN Sustainable Development Goals; the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. We are committed to driving 15 of the 17 Goals – related to people, planet, prosperity, peace, and partnership – giving our work real focus and meaning.
Quite simply, we guarantee that you won’t find the same opportunity for less. Our packages include everything you need, and our fundraising resources and support tools make financing them as simple as possible. For every ten young people participating, you will also receive one free staff place.
Youth Development Programme Packages
What’s Included In Your Package
We pride ourselves on our excellent pre-departure service and fully inclusive Youth Development Programme.
- Free staff place with every 10 volunteers
- Dedicated UK Groups Manager
- Launch presentation and pre-departure meeting
- Fundraising support and ideas
- Access to our online portal, My African Adventure, for trip information, travel advice, payments and planning
- Bespoke volunteer travel insurance
- Financial protection under the ATOL scheme
- African Adventures t-shirt
- Water-to-Go filter bottle
- Visa application support
When You Travel
- Return indirect flights from London Heathrow1 2
- Return airport transfers in-country and daily transport
- Orientation upon arrival
- Dedicated in-country Trip Host
- Single-sex, shared accommodation
- Three meals per day (except adventure days)
- Pre-planned project work
- 24-hour support in the event of an emergency
- Cultural events and activities
- Project development contribution
What’s Not Included
Very little, actually.
- UK medical expenses – any vaccinations or antimalarial tablets
- Visa fee (£30-£60, subject to destination)
- DBS check for over 18s (£10)
During your trip
- Direct flights and regional airport departures available for additional cost
- There is a £50 summer flying supplement for trips taking place in July and August
In a recent survey of our youth volunteers…
of respondents said that the experience met their expectations
of respondents feel that their trip gave them a better insight into a different culture and the wider world
of respondents would recommend our trips to other young people
Discover and Explore
Frequently Asked Questions
Your grads will finish the programme with:
- Better money management skills, having had to budget, plan and assess.
- A deeper understanding of global issues.
- Experience of a significantly different culture to the one they are used to and adjusting to a different way of life.
- An enhanced ability to work as part of a team to achieve a common goal.
- A greater ability to improvise and demonstrate resilience, whether inside a classroom teaching environment or whilst working towards project construction goals.
- Our Youth Development Programme is an incredible tool to help NCS providers maintain long-term engagement with their grads.
- You will be able to demonstrate a clear commitment to youth development in the UK and Africa.
- Your organisation will return with great visual content that can be used to help drive future recruitment to your own programme.
- We recommend that providers split their fundraising phase across 6-12 months. This depends on the amount of time that your young people are able to spend on fundraising.
- Participating in the programme means that every individual is responsible for fundraising their costs, so they must take ownership of their fundraising plan, together with support from their family. African Adventures provides ongoing support but is not responsible for individual volunteers’ fundraising.
- We have lots of brilliant fundraising tools to use, helping to ensure volunteers raise the money they need. In 2018, an incredible 41% of our volunteers raised between 75-100% of their trip costs through fundraising events.
- The best way to approach fundraising is to split the total amount into monthly targets and split that smaller target between personal savings/part-time work, individual fundraising events and group fundraising events.
- If a volunteer wishes to cancel their place, they can do so at any time. Their deposit (£195) is non-refundable and there are incremental cancellation fees if a volunteer cancels 150 days or less prior to departure.
- All year round, except December.
- Some programmes may have limited availability during the month of August.
- We run our Youth Development programme for young people aged 13+.