African Adventures provides unique teaching and learning experiences for trainee teachers and newly qualified teachers (NQTs).
Trainee teachers can make a real impact by bringing their experiences and educational insights to our partner projects in Africa. Working in a very different environment, without many of the resources that teachers are accustomed to in the UK, trainees will be taken out of their comfort zone and develop skills that can support their teaching careers.
Trainees have the opportunity to gain real global awareness and become more creative and adaptable teachers. They can teach primary or secondary level in subjects such as English, mathematics and geography, and will be required to adapt their teaching style according to the resources available, and to meet the needs of the students.
Trainees are tasked with helping students work towards local curriculum goals and syllabus objectives, which may differ dramatically to those implemented in the UK. Teaching will take place for up to six hours per day and these hours can count towards initial teacher training (ITT) hours.
We make the entire experience for you as a group leader as simple, easy and hassle-free as possible. We take care of the admin, provide inclusive packages, and help students and teachers through every step of the trip journey so that you are supported from start to finish.
Please explore our university trips, find out more and don’t hesitate to get in touch.
University of Southampton trainee teachers reflect on their Kenya experience.
Want to find out more?
We are here to support you and answer your questions.
Five Reasons Why Universities Choose Us
African Adventures is an education travel specialist, having organised successful volunteer experiences for thousands of students. We proudly hold a number of accreditations that should give you faith that you are travelling with a reputable and trusted company that is safely run, fully insured, and responsibly motivated.
Trainee teachers can make a real impact by bringing their experiences and insights to our partner projects in Africa. Working in a very different environment, without many of the resources that teachers are accustomed to in the UK, trainees will be taken out of their comfort zone and will develop skills that can support their teaching careers.
We make the organisation of your trip as easy as possible. Our bespoke online platform holds all the tools and resources you and your group will need to prepare you for the journey ahead. Your dedicated Groups Manager will take care of trip admin and make sure that your entire group is looked after, from launch to your safe return.
Quite simply, we guarantee that you won’t find the same opportunity for less. Our packages include everything you need and our support tools make financing them as simple as possible.
We have established a unique, ethical and effective model of volunteering which allows trainees to get the most out of their experience whilst providing maximum benefit to our partner projects.
University Trips Package
What’s Included In The Package?
We pride ourselves on our excellent pre-departure service and fully inclusive university trips.
- Free staff place with every 10 volunteers
- Dedicated UK Groups Manager & Volunteer Co-ordinator
- Launch presentation and pre-departure meeting
- Fundraising support and ideas
- Access to our My African Adventure portal and volunteer resource area
- Personal travel insurance
- Financial protection under the ATOL scheme
- Free t-shirt
- Visa application support
When You Travel
- Indirect flights from London Heathrow1 2
- Return airport transfers in-country
- Dedicated African Adventures Trip Co-ordinator
- Single-sex, shared accommodation
- Three meals per day
- Daily transport as per itinerary
- Organised project work
- 24-hour support in the event of an emergency
- Cultural events and activities
- Contribution to essential project development
After You Travel
- Full trip debrief with UK Groups Manager
- Certification of completion of volunteer programme for your university
What’s Not Included?
Very little, actually.
- UK medical expenses – any vaccinations or antimalarial tablets
- Visa fee
During your trip
- Spending money
- Drinking water
- Direct flights and regional airport departures available for additional cost
- There is a £50 summer flying supplement for trips taking place in July and August
Discover and Explore
Frequently Asked Questions
- Experience gained of teaching abroad in a different environment
- Skills honed in terms of improvisation and managing with limited resources
- Fulfilment of initial teacher training hours
- Knowledge gained of African curriculums and varied teaching styles
Yes, return flights are included as standard in all our group trip packages.
PGCE and trainee teacher groups, societies, RAG organisations, sports societies and departmental groups.
Our safety record is impeccable. Visit the ‘Your Safety’ section of our website to find out more.
Yes, for every ten student volunteers signed up, one group leader will travel completely free.
We have groups travelling throughout the year. Just let us know exactly when is the best time for your group to travel!