African Adventures’ Graduate Engagement Trips help youth organisations continue to engage with their grads through a life-changing volunteer experience in Ghana, Kenya or Zanzibar.
We are experts in volunteer travel and specialise in organising graduate opportunities for providers of youth development. Our trips have been proven to boost graduate engagement; each provider that has travelled with us has seen, on average, 13% of their graduates choose to continue their personal development journey with African Adventures.
The experience consists of three phases: preparation, action, and reflection. The preparation phase, which can be spread across 6-12 months, sees your young people build on the skills developed during their youth programme to plan their own fundraising events. They can choose to work individually, or with their fellow graduates, to raise the money needed for their trip. This phase also gives your young people time to mentally and emotionally prepare for their trip. Our online portal – My African Adventure – contains a wealth of resources to help them do this, providing information on topics such as their destination, their volunteer role, and the project they will be volunteering with.
The action phase sees your young people travel to Africa for their volunteering experience. Just before they depart, they will receive a reflective journal to fill in before, during, and after their trip, helping them to get the most they can out of the journey. At our partner schools, they will be able to choose between assisting with teaching and running sports sessions, and supporting with crucial renovation work. You can opt to add an adventure activity to your trip, enabling your grads to explore their destination further. From rainforest treks in Ghana, to safari experiences in Kenya, there’s plenty to choose from.
The final phase of the journey is the reflection phase. As they complete their trip, your young people will be encouraged to reflect on the experience and what they have learnt through taking part. On their return home, they will receive a certificate confirming their completion of the Graduate Engagement Trip; a fantastic testament to your graduates’ commitment to their personal development.
Youth organisations which are unable to organise a trip or travel themselves, but still wish to offer their young people this opportunity, should visit our Youth Development Programme page.
Youth Fed making the most of their experience in Ghana.
Want to find out more?
We are here to support you and answer your questions.
Five Reasons Why Providers Choose Us
We offer an exciting and rewarding way to keep your young people engaged, enabling them to continue their journey with you. African Adventures’ Graduate Engagement Trips are wholly inclusive, so that all young people are fully supported to take up the challenge of creating meaningful change in the communities that need it most.
We make your trip as easy to organise as possible. Our bespoke online platform holds all the tools and resources you and your young people will need to prepare you for the journey ahead. Your dedicated Groups Manager will take care of trip admin and make sure that your entire group is looked after, from launch to your safe return.
African Adventures is a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact, aligning our work to the UN Sustainable Development Goals; the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. We are committed to driving 14 of the 17 Goals – related to people, planet, prosperity, peace, and partnership – giving our work real focus and meaning.
Quite simply, we guarantee that you won’t find the same opportunity for less. Our packages include everything you need, and our fundraising resources and support tools make financing them as simple as possible. For every 10 young people participating, you will also receive one free staff place.
Graduate Engagement Trip Packages
What’s Included In Your Package
We pride ourselves on our excellent pre-departure service and fully inclusive Graduate Engagement Trips.
- Free staff place with every 10 volunteers
- Dedicated UK Groups Manager
- Launch presentation and pre-departure meeting
- Fundraising support and ideas
- Access to our online portal, My African Adventure, for trip information, travel advice, payments and planning
- Bespoke volunteer travel insurance
- Financial protection under the ATOL scheme
- African Adventures t-shirt
- Visa application support
When You Travel
- Return indirect flights from London Heathrow1 2
- Return airport transfers in-country and daily transport
- Orientation upon arrival
- Dedicated in-country Trip Host
- Single-sex, shared accommodation
- Three meals per day (except adventure days)
- Pre-planned project work
- 24-hour support in the event of an emergency
- Cultural events and activities
- Project development contribution
What’s Not Included
Very little, actually.
- UK medical expenses – any vaccinations or antimalarial tablets
- Visa fee (£30-£60, subject to destination)
- DBS check for over 18s (£10)
During your trip
- Direct flights and regional airport departures available for additional cost
- There is a £50 summer flying supplement for trips taking place in July and August
In a recent survey of our youth volunteers…
of respondents said that the experience met their expectations
of respondents feel that their trip gave them a better insight into a different culture and the wider world
of respondents said their trip has given them the confidence to try new things
Discover and Explore
Frequently Asked Questions
Your grads will finish the programme with:
- Better money management skills, having had to budget, plan and assess.
- A deeper understanding of global issues.
- Experience of a significantly different culture to the one they are used to and adjusting to a different way of life.
- An enhanced ability to work as part of a team to achieve a common goal.
- A greater ability to improvise and demonstrate resilience, whether inside a classroom teaching environment or whilst working towards project construction goals.
- Our Graduate Engagement Trips are an incredible tool to help youth development providers maintain long-term engagement with their grads.
- You will be able to demonstrate a clear commitment to youth development in the UK and Africa.
- Your organisation will return with great visual content that can be used to help drive future recruitment to your own programme.
- We recommend that providers split their preparation phase across 6-12 months. This depends on the amount of time that your young people are able to spend on fundraising and preparing for their trip.
- Participating in the programme means that every individual is responsible for fundraising their costs, so they must take ownership of their fundraising plan, together with support from their family. African Adventures provides ongoing support but is not responsible for individual volunteers’ fundraising.
- We have lots of brilliant fundraising tools to use, helping to ensure volunteers raise the money they need. In 2018, an incredible 41% of our volunteers raised between 75-100% of their trip costs through fundraising events.
- The best way to approach fundraising is to split the total amount into monthly targets and split that smaller target between personal savings/part-time work, individual fundraising events and group fundraising events.
- If a volunteer wishes to cancel their place, they can do so at any time. Their deposit (£195) is non-refundable and there are incremental cancellation fees if a volunteer cancels 150 days or less prior to departure.
- All year round, except December.
- Some programmes may have limited availability during the month of August.
- We run our Graduate Engagement Trips for young people aged 15+.
- No; African Adventures is a social enterprise. Our volunteers carry out fundraising to cover their trip costs – this is an important part of the African Adventures experience. The money that volunteers raise funds all aspects of their trip, such as flights, accommodation and adventure activities. As this money is not raised for a charity, volunteers should use crowdfunding webpages (e.g. FundMyTravel), rather than charity pages such as Just Giving or Virgin Money Giving.
- We do, however, also have a charity arm called African Adventures Foundation, and some volunteers choose to fundraise for our charity on their return from Africa. Because African Adventures Ltd. covers any associated costs, African Adventures Foundation is able to ensure that 100% of the money donated is sent to where it is needed most, meaning that real impact can be made. Visit www.aaf.african-adventures.co.uk for more information.