African Adventures’ Graduate Engagement Trips help youth organisations continue to engage with their young people through a life-changing volunteer experience in Ghana, Kenya or Zanzibar.
We specialise in organising group volunteer experiences for youth programme providers and their graduates. Our trips help to maintain graduate engagement once your own youth programme has ended, whilst giving your young people the opportunity to continue their personal development journey with African Adventures.
In the months before your trip, your young people can build on the skills developed during your own youth programme as they organise a range of fundraising events. They can choose to work individually or as a group to raise the money needed for their trip. This phase also gives your young people time to mentally and emotionally prepare for their trip. Our online portal – My African Adventure – contains all the resources to help them do this, with information on their destination, their volunteer role, and the project they will be volunteering with.
At our partner schools in Africa, you and your young people can choose between assisting with teaching and sports sessions, or supporting with crucial renovation work. You can also opt to add an adventure activity to your trip, enabling your grads to explore their destination further. From spectacular rainforest treks in Ghana, to breathtaking safari experiences in Kenya, there’s plenty of choice.
Towards the end of their journey, your young people will be encouraged to reflect on the experience and what they have learnt through taking part. On their return home, they will receive a certificate celebrating their achievements: a fantastic testament to their commitment to their personal development.
Youth organisations which are unable to organise a group trip for their grads, but still wish to offer their young people this opportunity, should visit our Youth Development Programme page.
Youth Fed making the most of their experience in Ghana.
Want to find out more?
We are here to support you and answer your questions.
Five Reasons Why Providers Choose Us
We offer an exciting and rewarding way to keep your young people engaged, enabling them to continue their journey with you. African Adventures’ Graduate Engagement Trips are wholly inclusive, so that all young people are fully supported to take up the challenge of creating meaningful change in the communities that need it most.
We make your trip as easy to organise as possible. Our bespoke online platform – My African Adventure – holds all the tools and resources you and your young people need to prepare for the journey ahead. Your dedicated Trips Co-ordinator will take care of trip admin, and make sure that your entire group is looked after from launch to your safe return.
African Adventures is a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact, which aligns our work to the UN Sustainable Development Goals – the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. We are committed to driving 15 of the 17 Goals – related to people, planet, prosperity, peace, and partnership – giving our work real focus and meaning.
Quite simply, we guarantee that you won’t find the same opportunity for less. Our packages include everything you need, and our fundraising resources and support tools make financing them as simple as possible. For every 10 young people participating, you will also receive one free staff place.
Graduate Engagement Trip Packages
What’s Included In Your Package
We pride ourselves on our excellent pre-departure service and fully inclusive Graduate Engagement Trips.
- Free staff place with every 10 volunteers
- Dedicated UK Trip Co-ordinator
- Launch presentation and pre-departure meeting
- Fundraising support and ideas
- Access to our online portal, My African Adventure, for trip information, travel advice, payments and planning
- Bespoke volunteer travel insurance
- Financial protection under the ATOL scheme
- African Adventures t-shirt
- Visa application support
When You Travel
- Return indirect flights from London Heathrow1 2
- Return airport transfers in-country and daily transport
- Orientation upon arrival
- Dedicated in-country Trip Host
- Single-sex, shared accommodation
- Three meals per day (except adventure days)
- Pre-planned project work
- 24-hour support in the event of an emergency
- Cultural events and activities
- Project development contribution
What’s Not Included
Very little, actually.
- UK medical expenses – any vaccinations or antimalarial tablets
- Visa fee (£30-£60, subject to destination)
- DBS check for over 18s
During your trip
- Direct flights and regional airport departures available for additional cost
- There is a £50 summer flying supplement for trips taking place in July and August
In a recent survey of our youth volunteers…
of respondents said that the experience met their expectations
of respondents feel that their trip gave them a better insight into a different culture and the wider world
of respondents said their trip has given them the confidence to try new things
Discover and Explore
Frequently Asked Questions
Your grads will finish the programme with:
- Better money-management skills, having had to budget, plan and assess.
- A deeper understanding of global issues and challenges to development.
- Experience of a significantly different culture, and the flexibility to adjust to a different way of life.
- An enhanced ability to work as part of a team to achieve a common goal.
- A greater ability to improvise and demonstrate resilience, whether inside a classroom environment, or whilst working towards project construction goals.
- Our Graduate Engagement Trips are an incredible tool to help you maintain engagement with your young people once your own programme has finished.
- You will be able to demonstrate a clear commitment to youth development in the UK and Africa.
- Your organisation will return with great visual content that can be used to help drive future recruitment to your own programme.
- We recommend that providers allow a lead-up time of 6-12 months. This depends on the amount of time that your young people are able to spend on fundraising and preparing for their trip.
- Participating in the trip means that every individual is responsible for their trip costs, so they must take ownership of their fundraising plan, together with support from their family. African Adventures provides ongoing support but is not responsible for individual volunteers’ fundraising.
- We have lots of brilliant fundraising tools to use, helping to ensure volunteers raise the money they need. In 2019, an incredible 41% of our volunteers raised 50% or more of their trip costs through fundraising events.
- The best way to approach fundraising is to split the total amount into monthly targets, and split that smaller target between personal savings, part-time work, individual fundraising events and group fundraising events.
- If a volunteer wishes to cancel their place, they can do so at any time. Their deposit (£195) is non-refundable and there are incremental cancellation fees if a volunteer cancels 150 days or less prior to departure.
- All year round, except December.
- Some programmes may have limited availability during the month of August.
- We run our Graduate Engagement Trips for young people aged 15+.
- No; African Adventures is a social enterprise. Our volunteers carry out fundraising to cover their trip costs – this is an important part of the African Adventures experience. The money that volunteers raise funds all aspects of their trip, such as flights, accommodation and adventure activities. As this money is not raised for a charity, volunteers should use crowdfunding webpages (e.g. FundMyTravel), rather than charity pages such as Just Giving or Virgin Money Giving.
- We do, however, also have a charity arm called African Adventures Foundation, and some volunteers choose to fundraise for our charity on their return from Africa. Because African Adventures Ltd. covers any associated costs, African Adventures Foundation is able to ensure that 100% of the money donated is sent to where it is needed most, meaning that real impact can be made. Visit aaf.african-adventures.co.uk for more information.