Our international Girlguide and Scout expeditions offer a simple, low-cost volunteering opportunity that is perfect for Scouts and Guides aged 13+.
As a group, your Scouts or Girlguides will be part of a long-term mission to help improve the lives of thousands of children in Africa.
Our Scout and Girlguide volunteer experiences offer your group the chance to fulfil their promise by impacting the lives of deprived young people in developing areas of Africa. Working alongside local staff and students, Scouts and Girlguides can help to support project development through the application of their existing skills and, furthermore, they can gain new skills in the process.
Our promise to you is that we make the entire trip process as simple as possible, from launch to your safe return. Our impeccable safety record and accreditations provide group leaders with real peace of mind, and the experience we have gained from our many years of working with young people has helped us to create an outstanding yet simple expedition programme.
Your Scouts or Girlguides will work to improve lives in Africa and will, in the process, become better global citizens. Invaluable life skills, such as money management, decision-making and planning are gained throughout.
Scouts and Girlguides will typically fundraise for their trip over a 9-18 month period in preparation for their trip. This stage of the process is important as it helps to develop enterprise, resilience and improvisation.
Please explore our trip options, find out more and don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Five Reasons To Choose Us
African Adventures specialises in youth travel, having organised successful volunteer experiences for thousands of young people and hundreds of groups. We proudly hold a number of accreditations that should give you faith that you are travelling with a reputable and trusted company that is safely run, fully insured, and responsibly motivated.
We have established a unique, ethical and effective model of volunteering which allows volunteers to get the most out of their experience whilst providing maximum benefit to our partner projects. African Adventures provides a strong platform for Scouts and Guides to fulfil and act on their Promise.
African Adventures is a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact, aligning our work to the UN Sustainable Development Goals; the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. We are committed to driving 14 of the 17 Goals – related to people, planet, prosperity, peace, and partnership – giving our work real focus and meaning.
We make your trip as easy to organise as possible. Our bespoke online platform holds all the tools and resources you and your group will need to prepare you for the journey ahead. Your dedicated Groups Manager will take care of trip admin and make sure that your entire group is looked after, from launch to your safe return.
Quite simply, we guarantee that you won’t find the same opportunity for less. Our packages include everything you need and our support tools make financing them as simple as possible.
Girlguide and Scout Expeditions Trip Package
What’s Included In Your Package
We pride ourselves on our excellent pre-departure service and fully inclusive Girlguide and Scout Expeditions.
- Free staff place with every 10 volunteers
- Dedicated UK Groups Manager
- Launch presentation and pre-departure meeting
- Fundraising support and ideas
- Access to our online portal, My African Adventure, for trip information, travel advice, payments and planning
- Bespoke volunteer travel insurance
- Financial protection under the ATOL scheme
- African Adventures t-shirt
- Visa application support
When You Travel
- Return indirect flights from London Heathrow1 2
- Return airport transfers in-country and daily transport
- Orientation upon arrival
- Dedicated in-country Trip Host
- Single-sex, shared accommodation
- Three meals per day (except adventure days)
- Pre-planned project work
- 24-hour support in the event of an emergency
- Cultural events and activities
- Project development contribution
What’s Not Included
Very little, actually.
- UK medical expenses – any vaccinations or antimalarial tablets
- Visa fee (£30-£60, subject to destination)
- DBS check for over 18s (£10)
During your trip
- Direct flights and regional airport departures available for additional cost
- A £50 supplement applies for flights departing in July or August
In a recent survey of our youth volunteers…
of respondents said that the experience met their expectations
of respondents feel that their trip gave them a better insight into a different culture and the wider world
of respondents said their trip has given them the confidence to try new things
Discover and Explore
Frequently Asked Questions
Your Girlguides and Scouts will benefit greatly and will:
- Learn valuable skills such as money management, fundraising, planning and critical thinking.
- Enjoy a unique volunteering experience, which will enhance college, apprenticeship and university and job application prospects.
- Return as more globally and culturally aware citizens.
- Help create lasting change and become more understanding of sustainable development.
- Feel proud of the impact made whilst volunteering.
- Go on an emotional journey of cultural exchange.
- Build new relationships and make new friends.
- Be encouraged to continue their philanthropic commitment into the future.
Yes, return flights are included as standard in all our group trip packages.
Any person aged 13+ would be ideally suited to go on a trip. Explorer Scouts are particularly well-suited to our volunteer trip packages.
We organise trips throughout the year. Just let us know when you would like to travel!
Our safety record is impeccable. Visit the ‘Your Safety’ section of our website to find out more.
Our Group Leader places are entirely free (based on 10 volunteers travelling for every one leader).
No; African Adventures is a social enterprise. Our volunteers carry out fundraising to cover their trip costs – this is an important part of the African Adventures experience. The money that volunteers raise funds all aspects of their trip, such as flights, accommodation and adventure activities. As this money is not raised for a charity, volunteers should use crowdfunding webpages (e.g. FundMyTravel), rather than charity pages such as Just Giving or Virgin Money Giving.
We do, however, also have a charity arm called African Adventures Foundation, and some volunteers choose to fundraise for our charity on their return from Africa. Because African Adventures Ltd. covers any associated costs, African Adventures Foundation is able to ensure that 100% of the money donated is sent to where it is needed most, meaning that real impact can be made. Visit www.aaf.african-adventures.co.uk for more information.