Our international expeditions provide an eye-opening and immersive volunteering opportunity for Scouts and Girlguides aged 13+.
Our tailor-made Scout and Girlguiding expeditions offer your young people the chance to make a meaningful difference at our partner schools in Ghana, Kenya or Zanzibar. At the same time, they’ll learn new skills, explore an unfamiliar culture, and increase their understanding of global citizenship.
The experience begins long before the expedition itself. By fundraising their trip costs, your young people can gain a range of invaluable life skills such as organisation, budgeting, and teamwork. Our bespoke online portal – My African Adventure – contains a wealth of resources to help them do this, as well as detailed information on their destination, their volunteer role, and their partner project.
During your trip, your young people can help teach in lessons, run sports sessions, or build new facilities at our partner schools. Whatever they choose, your group will be helping to improve the quality of education that our partner schools provide. You can also opt to add an adventure activity to your expedition package – from rainforest treks in Ghana, to safari experiences in Kenya, there’s plenty to choose from.
We make organising an expedition as simple as possible. We’ll take care of your trip admin, provide inclusive packages, and support you and your group through every step of the journey.
Please explore our expedition options, find out more, and don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Five Reasons To Choose Us
African Adventures specialises in youth travel, having organised successful expeditions for over 6,000 volunteers and hundreds of groups. We proudly hold a number of accreditations that should give you faith that you are travelling with a reputable and trusted company that is safely run, fully insured, and responsibly motivated.
We have a unique, ethical and effective model of volunteering which allows volunteers to get the most out of their experience whilst providing maximum benefit to our partner projects.
African Adventures is a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact, aligning our work to the UN Sustainable Development Goals; the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. We are committed to driving 15 of the 17 Goals – related to people, planet, prosperity, peace, and partnership – giving our work real focus and meaning.
We make your trip as easy to organise as possible. Our bespoke online platform holds all the tools and resources you need to prepare for the journey ahead. Your friendly Trip Co-ordinator will take care of your trip admin, and ensure that your entire group is looked after from launch to your safe return.
Quite simply, we guarantee that you won’t find the same opportunity for less. Our packages include everything you need, and our support tools make financing them as simple as possible.
Girlguide and Scout Expeditions Trip Package
Virtually everything you need is included in the cost of your trip:
- Free staff place with every 10 volunteers
- Dedicated UK Trip Co-ordinator
- Launch presentation and pre-departure meeting
- Fundraising support and ideas
- Access to our online portal, My African Adventure, for trip information, travel advice, payments and planning
- Bespoke volunteer travel insurance
- Financial protection under the ATOL scheme
- African Adventures t-shirt
- Visa application support
When You Travel
- Return indirect flights from London Heathrow1
- Return airport transfers in-country and daily transport
- Orientation upon arrival
- Dedicated in-country Trip Host
- Single-sex, shared accommodation
- Three meals per day (except adventure days)
- Pre-planned project work
- 24-hour support in the event of an emergency
- Cultural events and activities
- Project development contribution
What’s Not Included
Very little, actually.
- UK medical expenses – any vaccinations or antimalarial tablets
- Visa fee (£30-£60, subject to destination)
- DBS check for over 18s
During your trip
- Direct flights and regional airport departures available for additional cost
In a recent survey of our youth volunteers…
of respondents said that the experience met their expectations
of respondents feel that their trip gave them a better insight into a different culture and the wider world
of respondents said their trip has given them the confidence to try new things
Discover and Explore
Frequently Asked Questions
If your trip is cancelled due to the Coronavirus outbreak, you will receive a full refund of your trip costs from African Adventures, so you can book with confidence.
If a volunteer falls unwell on one of our trips, including with suspected Coronavirus, the cost of medical treatment and, if required, repatriation is covered under the personal travel insurance policy included in the cost of your place.
Your Scouts or Girlguides will:
- Gain invaluable life skills such as money management, organisation, teamwork, communication, resilience, and independence.
- Enjoy a unique volunteering experience which will enhance college, apprenticeship and university and job applications.
- Return as more responsible and culturally aware global citizens.
- Help create lasting change and become more understanding of sustainable development.
- Feel proud of the impact they have made whilst volunteering.
- Build new relationships and make new friends.
- Have an immersive experience of a new culture, which will alter their worldview.
Yes, return flights are included as standard in all our group packages.
Any person aged 13+ would be ideally suited to go on an expedition. Explorer Scouts are particularly well-suited to our volunteer trip packages.
We organise trips throughout the year. Just let us know when you would like to travel!
Our safety record is impeccable. Visit the ‘Your Safety’ section of our website to find out more.
For every 10 young people travelling, we provide one staff place completely free of charge.
No; African Adventures is a social enterprise. Our volunteers carry out fundraising to cover their trip costs – this is an important part of the African Adventures experience. The money that volunteers raise funds all aspects of their trip, such as flights, accommodation and adventure activities. As this money is not raised for a charity, volunteers should use crowdfunding webpages (e.g. FundMyTravel), rather than charity pages such as Just Giving or Virgin Money Giving.
We do, however, also have a charity arm called African Adventures Foundation, and some volunteers choose to fundraise for our charity on their return from Africa. Because African Adventures Ltd. covers any associated costs, African Adventures Foundation is able to ensure that 100% of the money donated is sent to where it is needed most, meaning that real impact can be made. Visit aaf.african-adventures.co.uk for more information.