Our challenging and rewarding college expeditions boost your students’ personal development, helping them grow into self-assured, adaptable, and conscientious global citizens.
Your students can make a meaningful difference at our partner projects in Ghana, Kenya or Zanzibar with our affordable and hassle-free college expeditions, whilst learning the importance of global citizenship and gaining crucial skills for later life.
The experience begins long before your young people depart for Africa. Fundraising is a fantastic opportunity to develop life skills such as organisation, teamwork, and money management. The confidence and resilience that your students gain through fundraising will help them prepare for their next steps in life, whether they are planning on applying for university, paid employment, or an apprenticeship. In fact, in 2019 41% of our youth volunteers fundraised 50% or more of their trip costs.
We make organising a trip as simple as possible by planning it all for you, including your flights, accommodation, daily transport and project work. From the moment you book, you’ll be looked after by a dedicated Group Manager, who will be on hand to support you before you depart. Our online portal – My African Adventure – contains everything you need to prepare for your adventure, minimises the amount of paperwork needed, and lets you manage your trip from any location.
We have 10 years’ experience of providing safe volunteering experiences for young people. Our comprehensive Safety Management System, as well as our awards and accreditations, means that you are travelling with a responsible, trusted provider.
Please explore our college expeditions, find out more and don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Want to find out more about our college expeditions?
We are here to support you and answer your questions.
Five Reasons Why Colleges Choose Us
African Adventures is an education travel specialist, having organised successful volunteer experiences for thousands of students and hundreds of schools and colleges. We proudly hold a number of accreditations that should give you faith that you are travelling with a reputable and trusted company that is safely run, fully insured, and responsibly motivated.
We make your trip as easy to organise as possible. Our bespoke online platform holds all the tools and resources you and your group will need to prepare you for the journey ahead. Your dedicated Groups Manager will take care of trip admin and make sure that your entire group is looked after, from launch to your safe return.
African Adventures is a signatory to the United Nations Global Compact, aligning our work to the UN Sustainable Development Goals; the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. We are committed to driving 14 of the 17 Goals – related to people, planet, prosperity, peace, and partnership – giving our work real focus and meaning.
Here at African Adventures, we have established a unique, ethical and effective model of volunteering which allows volunteers to get the most out of their experience whilst providing maximum benefit to our partner projects.
Quite simply, we guarantee that you won’t find the same opportunity for less. Our packages include everything you need and our support tools make financing them as simple as possible.
College Trip Packages
What’s Included In Your Package
We pride ourselves on our excellent pre-departure service and comprehensive packages.
- Free staff place with every 10 volunteers
- Dedicated UK Groups Manager
- Launch presentation and pre-departure meeting
- Fundraising support and ideas
- Access to our online portal, My African Adventure, for trip information, travel advice, payments and planning
- Bespoke volunteer travel insurance
- Financial protection under the ATOL scheme
- African Adventures t-shirt
- Visa application support
When You Travel
- Return indirect flights from London Heathrow1 2
- Return airport transfers in-country and daily transport
- Orientation upon arrival
- Dedicated in-country Trip Host
- Single-sex, shared accommodation
- Three meals per day (except adventure days)
- Pre-planned project work
- 24-hour support in the event of an emergency
- Cultural events and activities
- Project development contribution
What’s Not Included
Very little, actually.
- UK medical expenses – any vaccinations or antimalarial tablets
- Visa fee (£30-£60, subject to destination)
- DBS check for over 18s
During your trip
- Direct flights and regional airport departures available for additional cost
- A £50 supplement applies for flights departing in July or August
In a recent survey of our youth volunteers…
of respondents said that the experience met or exceeded their expectations
of respondents feel that their trip gave them a better insight into a different culture and the wider world
of respondents said their trip has given them the confidence to try new things
Discover and Explore
Frequently Asked Questions
Your students will:
- Learn valuable life skills such as money management, fundraising, planning and critical thinking.
- Enjoy a unique educational experience that will enhance apprenticeship, university and job application prospects.
- Return home as more globally and culturally aware citizens.
- Help to create lasting change and become more understanding of international development work.
- Develop their resilience, confidence and independence, whilst boosting their informal development
- Expand their comfort zones as they build new relationships and make new friends.
The benefits of educational volunteering can be found in our Learning Outside the Classroom white paper.
Yes, return flights are included as standard in all our group trip packages.
We have groups travelling throughout the year. Just let us know when is the best time for your group to travel!
Our safety record is impeccable. Visit the ‘Your Safety’ section of our website to find out more.
Our teacher places are entirely free (based on 10 students travelling for every one teacher).
No; African Adventures is a social enterprise. Our volunteers carry out fundraising to cover their trip costs – this is an important part of the African Adventures experience. The money that volunteers raise funds all aspects of their trip, such as flights, accommodation and adventure activities. As this money is not raised for a charity, volunteers should use crowdfunding webpages (e.g. FundMyTravel), rather than charity pages such as Just Giving or Virgin Money Giving.
We do, however, also have a charity arm called African Adventures Foundation, and some volunteers choose to fundraise for our charity on their return from Africa. Because African Adventures Ltd. covers any associated costs, African Adventures Foundation is able to ensure that 100% of the money donated is sent to where it is needed most, meaning that real impact can be made. Visit aaf.african-adventures.co.uk for more information.